Friday, January 28, 2011

Connections and Disappointment

How many times have I heard, "it's not what you know; it's who you know" in the past couple of years? I'll tell you- more than I could possibly keep track of. In most cases, I have ignored it and continued to think that I would be able to be selected without having someone else being the reason I'm there. Well, I was wrong.

I submitted my application for one of the Islanders' Spring Internships along with a countless number of other people hoping to be selected. After my mom heard about it, she decided that it would be a good idea to get someone to put a good word in on my behalf. Apparently, my mom's coworker's mother works with the New Jersey Devils. She personally called the Islanders' owner and got a copy of my resume sent into HR.

What do I know, the next day I get a call from someone with the Islanders asking me to come into an interview. Of course, my excitement at this point was off the charts, and I agreed to come in. Shortly after the conversation, I received an e-mail with the details regarding where to go for the interview. It was then that I noticed the subject for the interview said "Fan Photo Internship" and my heart sunk- this was not the perfect internship that I signed up for.

No comments:

Post a Comment